Get DaRT to Launch Remote Connections Tools Automatically
August 25, 2011 3 Comments
Launching the Remote Connection Tool at Startup
With a simple configuration file change you can modify our DaRT media to boot directly to the Remote Connection tool. When a connection is established the DaRT boot sequence will continue, leaving all the hard choices for the technician.
Note: This method assumes you are using DHCP, otherwise you will need to create a script that assigns a network address before launching the Remote Connection tool.
- From Windows 7 start menu, run “DaRT Recovery Image”.
- Go through the wizard up until you get to the “Additional Files” page.
Note: Don’t forget to enable Remote Connections or else starting the Remote Connection tool at startup will have no effect.
- The “Add additional tools” page in the wizard will allow you to customize DaRT to your heart’s content. At this point click the “Show Files…” button.
- Navigate to the Windows\System32 directory within this temporary folder
- Modify the “winpeshl.ini” file permission to give “modify” permissions to your current user.
Open the “winpeshl.ini” file and modify the file to look like below:
[LaunchApps] "%windir%\system32\netstart.exe -network -remount" "cmd /C start %windir%\system32\RemoteRecovery.exe -nomessage" "%windir%\system32\WaitForConnection.exe" "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\sources\recovery\recenv.exe"
Save the newly created iso file and extract the wim from it and switch it into your recovery folder as I showed HERE.
Now when you startup the PC by pressing F8 and selecting Repair this Computer the remote connection screen starts automatically as shown below.
The end user only needs to supply the technician with the Ticket number, IP and Port and he can connect and repair the system.
Note: If you cancel the remote connection screen at the local workstation, the script will continue as normal, prompting for a language selection and administrator password before launching the System Recovery Options Screen.